In 1912, a local merchant, Mr. George W. Ramsey, organized the Rhodes Mission in an effort to reach children with the gospel of Jesus Christ. His focus of attention was that of ministering to the children of the workers at the Fenati Brick Company, but ultimately the ministry reached out to many who lived in the area. After 40 years of ministry, Mr. Ramsey retired and the Rhodes Mission was organized into the Evangel Community Church, dedicated on November 16, 1952.
In the fall of 1958, the congregation set out on a new task; the construction of a place of worship. The basement of the church was built through the labors, prayers, and giving of its members. It was completed in the spring of 1959 and the church held services in the basement for the next 12 years. In 1970, the decision was made to build the sanctuary over the existing basement. It took 2 years to complete and was dedicated on July 2, 1972.
Evangel Community Church remains Baptistic in doctrine and fundamental in our approach to the Scriptures. The Scriptures are, and will remain, the basis for all we believe and teach.
Evangel Community Church continues to be a place where people can come for instruction in the Word of God, for encouragement, for rest, for help with spiritual needs, for friends, for fellowship.
The mission of The Church is this: “Loving God. Loving Others. Growing Together through Christ. We are excited to get to know you. Please join us.